By Tama L. Smith, WG’90
Dear Fellow Alumni,
Since the beginning of the year, we have launched a call for greater connection through lifelong engagement, and in this issue—through volunteerism. The concept of philanthropic service is common to all of us, but at times we forget the immeasurable benefits that come from giving back.
Our Volunteer Network
Our global community is composed of more than 81,000 alumni. This vast community network, while seamless in its appearance, requires the support of countless alumni who serve as:
• Alumni local and affinity club volunteers
• Class and cohort representatives
• Reunion committee volunteers
• Prospective student hosts and interviewers
• Student mentors, speakers, and employers
• Industry experts and speakers at our Global Alumni Forums, local Alumni Club events, and student and School-sponsored campus events.
Volunteering…Where to Start
We encourage you to become an alumni volunteer. First, determine what opportunities exist that are meaningful and exciting to you. Second, contact that source (i.e., the local Alumni Club President or register online to volunteer as a reunion, speaker, or student volunteer). Third, save the date and attend the Global Alumni Leadership Conference on campus from October 26-27, 2007. The program will include an Alumni volunteer awards and recognition dinner for clubs and individuals on that Friday. And last, engage fully in the new volunteer experience. Log onto the Alumni homepage to see how you can “Get Involved” — at <www.wharton.upenn.edu/alumni>.
Here are some important online resource links:
• Alumni Clubs (worldwide) —www.wharton.upenn.edu/alumni/Clubs.cfm
• Alumni Speakers Bureau —www.wharton.upenn.edu/alumni/Speaker
• Alumni CareerConnect (recruiting and career) — www.wharton.upenn.edu/alumni/CareerConnect.cfm
• Alumni Class Reunions — www.wharton.upenn.edu/alumni/reunion
• Alumni volunteer with MBA Admissions — www.wharton.upenn.edu/alumni/Admissions.cfm
• Alumni volunteer with Student-Connect activities—www.wharton.upenn.edu/alumni/Student_Connections.cfm
Other resource links include:
• Worldwide Listing of Upcoming Alumni Club Events — www.wharton.upenn.edu/alumni/Calendar.cfm
• Global Alumni Forums — www. wharton.upenn.edu/alumni/forums
• Giving to Wharton — www.wharton.upenn.edu/alumni/Wharton_Fund/index.cfm
All of our alumni volunteers work diligently on behalf of the Wharton School and our global alumni community.
Many give much of their time and resources without attention and fanfare. So, the next time that you see your local Club President, or a member of your Reunion team or class representative—show your appreciate by thanking them. We need them …and you … to continue growing our lifelong connection. Do you want to volunteer in a way that you don’t see listed? Then just give me a call at (310) 229-5951, and I will put you in touch with the right resource to help in your initiative.
Tama L. Smith, WG’90
Wharton Alumni Association
President, Tama Smith & Associates, Inc.